August 23, 2011

Teammate Tuesday: Laura

Having a team here in China is so crucial to our mental, emotional, and spiritual well being. I have been so excited to cross paths and share life with six new people in these past weeks; I think that it's so important that you get to know them as well. We are the members of Team Harbin, lovingly known as "The Bean Team". Because of us, the phrase 'cool beans' takes on a whole new meaning. Being that we are the bean team and being that it is absolutely frigid in Harbin, we are quite literally "cool beans."

I am pleased to introduce you to Laura Baker our Cocoa Bean on the bean team. Laura is the first team member that I ever skyped with prior to coming to China, and we already have a ton of shared memories. My favorite memory with Laura was on her birthday when our whole team celebrated at KTV {Chinese Karaoke}. There was a period of time when Beyonce's "Single Ladies" was played and a whole new being came over Laura. She embraced the spirit [and the dance moves] of Beyonce like no other.
Laura hails from the city of Atlanta, Georgia. She graduated this past May from Berry College with a B.S. in Economics. We recently celebrated Laura's birthday on August 11, which was quite a blast. So far, the top Chinese food has been pineapple chicken. Laura's M&M's of choice would be peanut butter, and cookie of choice would be Snicker doodles [or chocolate chip]. "My favorite movie would be Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants because it makes me think of my college friends. We watched it multiple times a week last year." Unfortunately for Laura, Chick-Fil-A has yet to make it's way to China, so she'll have to wait another year to enjoy her favorite fast food place.

Laura is super excited about being in China. She is most excited about meeting the students, growing closer to the team and just experiencing life in a new culture. Laura has an incredible story, especially because how she got here is so "random" {even though we know it's not so 'random' at all}. Laura spends her time doing art & crafts ("I love making things"), swimming, and dancing her butt off. If she was forced to eat any color crayon, she would eat the color 'Macaroni & Cheese'. "Who doesn't love noodles smothered in cheesy goodness?"
Laura says "I want the world to know that I am loud and proud of it! If I had a million dollars, I would buy every song I have ever wanted on iTunes, buy my dad a new house, throw a huge party for all my friends and give the rest to the American Cancer Society." If Laura could meet any person from history she would pick Mother Theresa. "She is awesome and super cool and lived an amazing life and I just want to sit and drink coffee with her." 

"I'll never forget. Once when I was a child my little brother, Zac, and I were mad at my older brother, Jake, so we took all his Hot Wheels cars and tried to flush them down the toilet. It didn't work as planned. Needless to say, the toilet exploded with water and toy cars so Zac and I were the ones to really get in trouble."
Laura has a wonderful sense of humor and can be sure to put a smile on your face with her crazy faces. I'm looking forward to the many more stories that she and I will get to share!





No comments:

Post a Comment