December 27, 2011

City Team Spotlight #2


We meet people everywhere we go;sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you meet someone and within minutes you feel like you’ve known them your whole life. You can’t quite place who they remind you of or what that “special quality” is about them, but all you know is that when you walk away you can do nothing but smile and love your life because that person made it that much better.


This blog, right here right now, is featuring one of those people. Harbin is ever so special to be graced with the presence of Lizzie Talcott. Lizzie is a member of Team Lin Da and this is her first time teaching in China. Lizzie has signed on for [at least] two years and has already made quite the impact on the city, her students and team. 
“My time here in China could also be summed up by saying, "Wow, I didn't see that one coming."  Time and time again I just laugh about how my life is unfolding.  Who would have thought that I would be here, in Harbin, working with these students...and loving it?!  So all that to say...I love China, I love Harbin, I love our city team, and I'm so excited to see what the next year will bring.”  

Lizzie hails from Indiana, but both of her parents are Texans. Simply, don’t mess with her {because she’s got Texan blood in those veins}. She is the prime organizer of anything “party” and knows how to have a good time. Her bubbly personality is loved by all who surround her and she always has a joke to crack or a funny story or adventure to share. Her life has been awesome [and will continue to be awesome]. China is something that just kinda… “happened”. It’s taught her a lot in the process.
“I guess I would say that the biggest thing I've learned so far in China is the absolute need for reliance on Him and others.  We can't do it alone here!  Language, culture, etc all work to make sure we are an interdependent group that relies ultimately on Him.  Bottom line: I can't do it on my own.”
That is in fact a lesson that we are all learning here, not just Lizzie. I know that I and my fellow bean-teamers are super stoked that we get to work with and around her for at least another semester. If we could guarantee that we could be placed in Harbin again, I’m sure some of us would reconsider returning home, just to live another year in the life with Lizzie.

Oh, and another 'destiny' reason as to why we're friends is because Lizzie was infact a music major in college. Well...at least for a little bit ;)
Lizzie has her own blog documenting her time and adventures here in China. I encourage you to check it out here!



Playing 'piano' together in the park

No comments:

Post a Comment