February 21, 2012

baby, baby, baby, OH!


Oh goodness, I feel like such a blogging-slacker…but it’s so not true!
Since arriving back to Harbin we’ve had some very exciting episodes of sitting around and talking. Usually every day we play some card games, and then we sit around and talk some more. As you can see, this leaves me with very little action-type things to tell you. It’s not like we’re mountain biking anymore (or ever again), or even like we can go outside and build a snowman…there’s no snow. We’ve explored some new restaurants in the area,  basically everyone has completed a “spring cleaning” in their apartment, and lots of cookies and goodness has been consumed by our bellies.

The general gist is that we have sat around and have had many good discussions. Good discussions build good community, and good community builds happy feelings inside.

What can I say? Valentines day came, and Valentines day went. Us girls celebrated with a little girl time. Laura {marie} Baker made dinner for us complete with Broccoli, Cheese & Rice casserole and homemade buns! (Love me some buns…) Whilst eating we thought it would be super girly to watch the documentary “Babies”. [in case you’ve never seen or heard about it, it’s a documentary that following four babies from Mongolia, Namibia, Japan, and the USA from birth until one year old. Super cute]. We were then joined by then men who joined us partway through the film, and who finished all our food (way to go boys).

Inspirational/ vulnerable thought for the day? After watching that documentary and being surrounded by kiddos and babies at our Annual Thailand Conference, I drew a conclusion about myself whilst dancing across Laura {marie} Baker’s apartment… I’m terrified of babies. I absolutely love kids, but babies are so fragile, soft, helpless, moldy (like, you can dent their heads. No, they don't grow mold). I’m terrified that I’m going to break it. At this point, Laura looked at me and with as much care, grace, and attitude as she could possibly fit into one sentence, she simply said:

“Kayla, you can’t break a baby.”
I feel like I can. Toddlers, young ones, those ones between 13-19 with attitude, I got all them under control…it’s just those babies. Also, completely random, but I highly recommend the movie Moneyball. We found it on the black market near by and watched it as a team. Seven thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment