February 8, 2012

Thailand Bucket List



In all, I’ve spent about 3 weeks in Thailand and while here, I’ve done some things. Some notable things, if I do say so myself. And although I’m no longer one of those people who puts things on a list just for the satisfaction of crossing them off [used to be…I’ve found new life ;)], for old times sake, I figured I’d just make a list for the sake of helping me remember, as my increasing age is taking it’s first steps at conquering my mortal body.
 
-I’ve biked a mountain…see post below.
-I’ve gone white water rafting
-I rode an elephant
-I have had elephant terds launched in my general direction [thank you, Tony].
-I hiked in the jungle…barefoot.

-I swam in a waterfall…in the jungle. 
[ps, it was really cold]
-I sang in my sleep
-I have eaten Pad Thai for all three meals in one day.
-I have played the piano…in a Kodak print shop.
-I have jumped in puddles during a thunderstorm... (Thailand down…118 more countries to go.)
-I have woken up with the sheet (yes, singular) pulled completely over my head, completely mummified, for a week straight.
-I have been scolded for not abiding by “quiet hours” (oh the shame as a ResLife alum)
-I have watched two sunsets by the river
-I have witnessed approximately 37 floating lanterns in the night sky.
-I have worshiped the King on the rooftop (with a guitar and other people, of course).
-I have read three books. Seven, if you count Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

What does any of this have to do with my students? One thing is for sure, this time off has benefited them too. When we started in September we were told that we were re-writing the English program of our college and we had three days to do so. So for those of you who have never written curriculum before, let’s just say that there is a reason why the big dawgs get paid a lot of money to do it. They spend months and months and hours perfecting these things. We just graduated from college and had three days before the rocket took off. In the end, we ended up writing it as we went along and it was the longest and biggest act of improvisation that I have ever performed in my life [this coming from the girl who has done her fair share of musical theatre shin digs].
This time off has given me a lot of time to think, prepare, and write for this upcoming semester.  

Here’s hoping it’s gunna be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment