February 12, 2012

Celebrity


Airports, traveling, exposure to new things: all catalysts for writing new blog posts. My mind was going crazy on the plane rides, over spewing with ideas and things to say and a severe lacking of paper. That therefore leads to my spillage into a blog post and [just for fair warning] there are probably many more to come. I just wanted to jot down a few of the things that I had forgotten while I left the country for three weeks. Don’t worry, within the first 20 minutes of returning to my beloved China I was quick to remember (and realize) that…

-If you want to go anywhere, you have to push through a mob to get there.
-Directions don’t matter. People will still do what they want to do….even if that means unfastening their seatbelts and getting their luggage from the overhead bin two seconds after the plane lands.
-It’s super relaxing not being able to eavesdrop on anyone around you because you can’t understand their conversation.
-It’s a lot more comfortable to be around a familiar unknown language (such as Chinese) than an unknown, unfamiliar language (like…Thai).
-China is dirty. I mean, every country has their fair share of litter but…China might win.
-Everyone gets a meal on every flight, no matter how long the flight actually is. Thanks, China Southern.
-White people are famous and super interesting, which is why everyone stares at you all the time. This is a subject that often gets under foreigners skin. They watch us all the time. Not only that, but they invade any personal space that you possess while doing so. For me personally, I find it super hilarious. I mean, let’s be honest, I’m not that interesting but upon immediate arrival to China I could feel the eyes of the natives watching my every move. However, NOT in a suspicious or condemning way whatsoever, more in a curious and fascinated type of sense, waiting for us to do something new. 

We can pick up on social cues, we can fight our way through a crowd just as good as any Chinese person. They stand amazed. We order our food on the plane in Chinese…every time the flight attendant did a double blink [although I’m not quite sure whether or not the blink was out of sheer amazement that a white person spoke their language or that they were trying to interpret what I attempted to say…just to make me feel better, lets go with the former.] The best is when they gawk that we can use chopsticks. In fact, I’ve found myself getting kind of defensive when I’m given a fork and spoon to eat with. Noodles just aren’t the same with a fork and spoon. If you eat Ramen with a fork and spoon, newsflash: you’re doing it the wrong way.

This isn’t even close to the entirety of thoughts that I have on these subjects, but my brain is shutting down. Until next time… happy sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment