October 27, 2011

Beauty of...

You've been through school. You know that teachers are under intense magnifying glasses all the time. Every move they make, what they eat for breakfast, when they go to the bathroom, all noticed by their students. You know you freaked out when you saw your school teacher, professor, school nurse, or even cafeteria monitor at the grocery store. I know kids freak out, I've been to Wegmans with my mom a time or two ...or twelve thousand. [My southern and worldwide readers, I strongly encourage you to check out Wegmans here if you have no idea what Im talking about]. What made me think that kids in China wouldn't do the same thing? I have no idea.

Tonight, we had dinner with some upperclass students. This was truly a new experience for me as we had natural conversations at a natural pace...not talking to freshman here! We had a lovely dinner conversation hosted by Zero, a sophomore student. This kid could talk your ear off for hours and he's super personable and super curious about everything. We learned a [hilarious] tidbit of information tonight.

(Some prior knowledge you might what to know: ever since day one, Lauren has frequently been asked about her heritage, whether or not she is a Chinese girl. Her student's originally thought she was Chinese!) 
 
Our conversation went something like this:
Julia: "Oh, perhaps we shouldn't tell you, but it is funny."
Lauren: "What is so funny, you can tell us"
Julia: "Ahh, the students have names for you. But they won't tell you."
Lauren: "What are they?"
Julia: [with a grin plastered on her face] "Well, they call Miss Lauren the 'Beauty of China'"
--everyone laughs--
Julia: "They call you, Miss Laura, the 'Beauty of India.'"
--more outrageous laughter--
Julia: "And you, Miss Kayla are"
Zero: "the Beauty of Russia!"

Julia is this wonderful spitfire. She is the girl who will walk in the office and beeline to my desk for a hug. She is the girl who was the class monitors for one of our freshman classes. She calls them "her babies". Julia is this radiant spirit who truly only reaches my ribcage, but she is that girl you can't help but to fall in love with.

Julia: "Miss Kayla, you did not listen to my words. I told you to wear more clothes."
Kayla: "Julia, I am wearing two layers! Remember, I am from New York so I am native to the cold."
Julia: "That doesn't matter. You are a guest here. You can't catch a cold. You did not listen." [she jokingly huffs away]
Later in the convenient store, I purchase two candy bars and afterwards slide one into Julias coat pocket. She noticed the change in weight.
Julia: "Ahh, Miss Kayla. The next time I see you I will give this back to you, only if you are wearing more clothes."
Kayla: "Julia but what if I want you to keep it and eat it. Maybe I will not wear more clothes on purpose.
Julia: "Ah, very well. I will have to rethink the situation."




1 comment:

  1. hahahhaa.. the beauty of china, i love it. i think tiffany should be the beauty of france. ;) hehehe wear more clo-thes and don't catch a cold!! hehe

    ReplyDelete