October 10, 2011

Insight


Today I got to experience something for the first time. I am a teacher, I have been a student-teacher, but I have never been a substitute teacher. That is, until today. The students I taught today were sophomore level Russian majors to whom I could speak English at a normal pace with [someone explain to me how Russian majors have better English than the English majors?].
From these Russian majors I gained valuable insight. I told them that in China many times people think I am Russian. Really and truly I find this hilarious because whether you know it or not, Americans basically scream “I’m American” no mater where they go worldwide. We have a tendency to stand out which is not always a good thing.
“Do I look Russian to you?” I asked.
“Yes, yes, very much.”
“…why?”
“Your eyes, so bright!”
“Your long nose!”
“Your crazy hair!”

The world makes perfect sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment