November 16, 2011

Dear Gary...


There once was a time that we just knew you as “that guy who teaches French”. We just knew that you lived on the second floor, and we just knew that you had been here since February. I specifically remember one day sitting on a bench next to Laura and waving to you. I told Laura that we should be friends with you. Then, there was that one time the school took us to a banquet. They had a table for all the Russian foreign teachers and a table for all the American foreign teachers. They stuck you at our table; I’m so glad they did that! I speak on behalf of my team when we say “your English is ballin’”.

Then there was this one time we had a breakfast with pancakes and stuff for everyone on the second floor. We are so thankful you came, we wouldn’t have survived without you. Your ability to communicate in Chinese and English basically blew us out of the water, and you saved us from a lot of really awkward moments. And then, as if you weren’t amazing enough, you even brought Laura some legit French bread.

This is everyone at multi-cultrual breakfast, round 2.
Do you remember that one time that us girls were standing out in the hallway and you came out to talk to us because you heard us from your flat? Remember how you told me about how you used to be in an improv theatre troupe in Paris? Three words, Gary: that’s ridiculously awesome. And then remember how you were talking about making your students do something involving theatre for a French competition? You’re rockin’ my world señor. I’m really glad that our team got to take you out to dinner too. Oh, and then I’m really glad that you decided to hang out with us afterward. Thanks for sharing your dreams with us; you’re going to be a great film animator some day. Seriously. You and your friend are going to make a movie that is going to rock this world. And those tickets to the premiere…who did you promise those to again? [Oh yea, that’s me.]

Thanks for having videos of your improv theatre troupe on your external hard drive. I’m so glad that we ran into you at the tea shop and that you invited us over to watch your performances. To be completely honest, I don’t speak any French, but it was really fun to watch.You had a fro goin’ on back then too! Thanks for providing the English translation for us. Just so you know, it made us all super happy to see our notes and those “breakfast photos” of us on your refrigerator.

I don’t think any of us were expecting to come to China and leave with a new bffl [“biffle”] from France. Then again, you probably weren’t expecting to make friends with six crazy Americans either. Did we mention we’re really happy to know you? We’re looking forward to Friday’s movie night with you. Just please, for my sake, don’t pick something like The Exorcist. I don’t watch movies like that.
Oh, and I don’t know if we’ve officially told you yet, but you’re going to be spending Christmas with us. Hope that’s ok with you! :)

Sincerely Yours,
Kayla & Team Harbin

No comments:

Post a Comment