November 29, 2011

Dear South Africa...

Thank you ever so much for hosting the world cup last year. Because of this, now my students in China are enthralled with you. I can't lie, the Waka waka dance has made an appearance at several points throughout my experience in China thus far.... never for the public eye, but most definitely for entertainment purposes. You were a wonderful host for such a glorious world event. Thank you for K'Naan's song ["Wavin' Flag"] which instantaneously makes my classrooms erupt in cheers and festivities. It's absolutely wonderful because it gives me a beautiful platform to talk about you, Nelson Mandela, apartheid, forgiveness & grace.

Lucky for you, I have a classroom here in China who really likes to sing. The other night, although it was Thanksgiving, we had a little dance party to some awesome music, all of course from you, South Africa. Of course, these students asked me to sing a song from you. Lucky day, I actually had one tucked away from childhood. It's called, 'Njalo'. You know it, right? I thought I’d capture it on video to prove that your songs are being sung world wide.
 
Thank you, South Africa, for being a wonderful country, not afraid to show your history and scars, and even more so for allowing the world to learn from your painful lessons. You are a nation filled with a rich and vibrant culture and beautiful, beautiful people. I will make it over there to see you someday, and more importantly visit the friends whom I’ve been separated from for years. You will always and forever be on the top of my list.
Sincerely Yours,
*kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment