April 19, 2012

Concertmaster Tracy

His name is Tracy. There's probably a list somewhere of "China's Most Wanted" and his name is probably on it. For those of you who receive my emails, you have heard about Tracy before and how there used to be a day where he was an enemy in my classroom. Things rapidly changed when our common love of music was discovered. He quickly became a help in the classroom, assisting struggling classmates, and offering assistance to me, the teacher, at most possible moments. If Tracy was competing in gymnastics for the Olympics, the judges would have to give him a 10 for his compelling and perfect 180.

Monday night was supposed to be ClubSING, however the school had different plans. They can make first years do things, and they made them do some singing of their own. The female foreign teachers [including Tiff-Tiff, bless her heart] decided to support our classes in this endeavor. 

Thirteen classes 
[Business and experimental English, Russian, Japanese]
Two songs.
The same two songs sung by each class.

And let's just say that the music education here is a little less than stellar. It certainly provided a great deal of entertainment, and definitely more than one moment of cringing.(You're going to think me a proud and biased mother, but please believe me when I tell you that the English majors performed the best. I couldn't be more proud of all my babies. Think it helps that we sing to them in class all the time…?)

Where was I?…oh, TRACY! My Business class 411 prepared themselves to sing and I set my camera rolling not knowing what to expect. My jaw dropped as I realized that their leader and concertmaster extraordinaire was none but Tracy. Not only that, but as I watched him lead his class with precision, I noticed that he naturally possesses conducting talents, capabilities, and coordination that several music educators could use a little work on. I sat back and shed a tear of joy and awe as I watched the beauty before me.

Below is a video of their performance. Although my babies didn't win, believe me when I say that they deserved it. Plus, I cant be too upset because Class 502 ("The Bright Skies"...the class with Leon) took home first prize. Even though the night included the continuous (and sometimes painful) repetition of these two songs (both patriotic and "I love China" in nature) there was truly no better way to spend a Monday night.

Business English class 411, the "Smart Dolphins". The conductor is Tracy and the two soloists (in order) are Gaga and Kimmie. (oh, and if you look at their "class picture" on the screen behind them, you'll notice two white people, me and Lauren :))



These are my other babies, Business English class 409 (the "Cute Dogs") who took home 2nd place. The conductor is Emma and the two soloists (in order) are Carol and Selina.


No comments:

Post a Comment