May 16, 2012

Bad Day Fixer Upper

I don't know what country you live in, but I know something about you. I know that you have bad days. Bad days are one of those universal things that are everywhere. I'm sure some penguin way in Antarctica is down on his luck right about now. Bad days don't care what language you speak or what your circumstances are; they happen to everyone.

Fact of the matter is that I have bad days in China. I have bad days in America too, but coping mechanisms are far more…easier in America. There's usually always a Dunkin' Doughnuts, Starbucks, or Tim Hortons around to do the trick {I know what you're thinking…no, I don't eat my feelings}, or a best friend to easily call on a cell phone, no need to wait for a time change. The couches in America are soft, and they'll cushion you as you fall into them and sob your eyes out. My couch here will bounce you back like a trampoline, and the 'pleather' doesn't absorb tears, it just assists in dripping them to the floor. At home, it is easy to leave, to take a walk and breathe fresh air to rejuvenate your lungs, even if your mind is swirling. If I tried to take a walk outside right now I'd choke and have to breathe shallow breath as the stench from the medicine factory is crippling to inhale. At home, it's easy to cover up a bad day, to blend into the crowd or duck into a private bathroom somewhere. In China, no matter how many layers of clothing and disguises you wear, you're still always the center of attention and everyone is going to notice anything that you do. You cant always get what you want, and if you do you'll end up like that girl in Willy Wonka and turn into a blueberry. I think I'd take the bad days over the option of becoming edible.

The good news about universal bad days, is that there is a universal method of getting better: dance party. Best results occur when surrounded by friends, booty is shaken, absolute mayhem is reached, and Shakira is invited.



It's also easier if you get yourself some awesome students, teach them how to compare and contrast, and have them write you these awesome sentences: 

Miss Kayla is as ____________as ____________.
Miss Kayla is as friendly as a sister (Emma)
Miss Kayla is as graceful as the white cloud (Adam)
Miss Kayla is as lovely as children (Selina)
Miss Kayla is as shine as today sky (Nina)
Miss Kayla is as tall as Yao Ming's wife (Lara)

2 comments:

  1. that just made my month, thank you. :) and i love you all... SO much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, girl, I pretty much do eat my feelings. I mean, not in a bad, bad way, but there is something about the temporary pleasure of something yummy that is hard to pass up on a bad day.

    Also: "I think I'd take the bad days over the option of becoming edible."

    LOL. Absolute truth.

    Lor

    ReplyDelete