May 21, 2012

Endearing

My teammates have said that I'm endearing on many occasions. I'm still not entirely sure what that means, but based on context clues I think I have some idea.  "Endearing" is definitely a term that I would use to describe China…at least, today. It just sounds right. Yea, I know, I could simply go look it up and be absolutely sure that it's the word that I want, but for now I'll just right this blog post based on my hunch of what the word actually means.

There's things about China that are just special. Call me biased, but there's things about my students that are just special, too. Combined, they make the essence of China and create a goodness, an atmosphere, a home of where I've lived that past shemma-shemma months of my life.

China is endearing. For example, you know it's going to be a good day when the Heilongjiang East College public radio is blasting "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" from the speakers below. Folks, I'm telling you the music that is played is as clear as my iPod earbuds, even with my windows closed. You just can't escape this music [story of my life, right?].

China is endearing, particularly when the rooster crows at all hours of the day, not just at dawn. It's like a 24-hour reminder of Peter's denial.

China is endearing. It's a miracle day as the high today was 90 degrees in the Ice City of the world. Despite this fact, there are still countless students wandering around in long sleeves shirts. Bless their souls. Upon walking to dinner with "the Ketron" we bumped into one of our students. A look of terrible discomfort crossed his face as we said to him "Hey Dylan!" As the students cleared between us, we saw why he was uncomfortable. There, in his hands, were two beautiful chocolate ice cream bars. Clearly, they were recently purchased for himself and his girlfriend, but he thrust them into our hands. Thankfully, these shemma-shemma months have taught us how to fight back. Proud to report that we were not burdened with ice cream prior to our dinner. Mom would been proud of that choice ;)

China is endearing, with its obscure snacks. Would you believe me if I told you that I ate an entire bag of "Vegetable & Chicken Funyons" by myself today? Don't judge, they're actually [secretly] delicious. Over time, I've grown accustomed to the different Lays flavors that are available such as cucumber, Texas Barbecue, French Chicken, (and my favorite)Tomato. Yesterday, Laura and I ventured to the "Plant Zoo" with some of our students; they brought the snacks. A bag was shoved in my face, and being polite I ate what was given. "What is this?" I innocently asked. "Cat ears." (no, no, I know what you're thinking. They're just a triangle shaped chip that is a swirly light brown and dark brown.) Needless to say, not all snacks are secretly delicious.

China is endearing. Public transportation needs a stronger adjective than 'lunatic', because it's so much more than that. Public transportation is a culture. When you are on the bus with strangers, you become a band of brothers for however long you ride that vehicle, knowing that they full well could be the last people who see you alive [particularly in the wintertime]. It's about learning how to give in when your students refuse to sit down and force you to sit in their seat [China's forced me to deal with some stubbornness issues]. It's about sacrificing your seat when an elderly person, usually dark skinned and wrinkled around the eyes climbs aboard and is looking for rest.

China is endearing. As the temperatures go up, so do the number of English words on clothing apparel that is walking around campus, and trust me, it is FUNNY! Yesterday I stood in line behind a woman who (on the back of her shirt) had big words, written in beautiful handwriting "Grow your hair!". We endearingly call it "Chinglish" as it's English with a China twist that proves to always, always be entertaining.


And out of my own insecurities about hitting the "publish" button, I decided to check the dictionary.
Endearing (adj): Inspiring love or affection.
Looks like my hunch was right after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment